My research focuses on the international relations of the Middle East, with an emphasis on the Gulf states and Egypt and their engagement with the US, UK, EU, Russia and China. My theoretical and empirical contributions to international relations focus on economic factors (versus ideational and geo-strategic factors) in foreign policy and alliance building/deconstruction. I also analyze conflicts, regional security issues and political economy. I have convened and contributed to academic and policy events covering Gulf politics, Asia – Middle East relations, and Euro-Mediterranean relations. Read more about my research impact here >
My current or recent research projects include:
- International Relations of the Gulf: Strategic Competition in an Uncertain World, Manchester: Manchester University Press, forthcoming.
- “Pushing the Envelope of National Security and State Influence in the Hinterland: Saudi and Iranian Competition in the Horn of Africa”, in Robert Mason and Simon Mabon (eds.), The Gulf States and the Horn of Africa: Interests, Influence and Instability, Manchester: Manchester University Press, forthcoming.
- “The Nexus Between State-Led Economic Reform Programmes, Security, and Reputation Damage in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia”, in Martin Beck and Thomas Richter (eds.), Oil and Political Economy of the Middle East: Adjustment Policies of the Arab Gulf and Beyond Since 2014. Manchester: Manchester University Press, forthcoming.
- New Perspectives on Middle East Politics: Economy, Society and International Relations. Cairo: AUC Press, forthcoming (2021).
- Mediterranean and Trans-national Security Cooperation. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming (2021)
- “Small State Aspirations to Middle Powerhood: The Cases of Qatar and the UAE” in Adham Saouli (ed.), Unfulfilled Aspirations: Middle Power Politics in the Middle East. London: Hurst/Oxford University Press: 2020.
I have presented my analysis and commentary to media outlets including Arabian Business, Die Welt, South China Morning Post, The Hill, and Radio France International. Read more about my media engagement here >